One Pot Quinoa Ratatouille
This one pot quinoa ratatouille is bound to make it into your regular dinner rotation. The addition of quinoa to the classic ratatouille really rounds out the dish, making it filling and satisfying. It gets a nice kick of protein making it a great meal choice, weather your vegan or not. This dish would also suit almost every diet requirement making it a good choice for entertaining too.
This is a perfectly balanced because it is both nutritious and filling. Quinoa is a complete protein, meaning it contains all nine amino acids. This means you’re not missing out on anything protein-wise ditching meat for this meal. It also contains some omega 3 fatty acids. If you opt for the nutritional yeast on top (and I would highly recommend that you do so) then you’ll get your oh so essential vitamin B-12 too. You’re also going to get at least 2-3 of your 5 a day from the all the veg thats packed in there.
To finish off this dish, it’s really nice to have something cheesy on top. Through many a taste test we’ve decided that the top three contenders are parmesan, feta and nutritional yeast. It was impossible to get people to agree on which one tasted the best. However, a tablespoon of nooch has so much stuff inside it thats good for you (especially if you’re on a restrictive diet) that to me it’s the clear choice. I would reccomend a nice sprinkling of salt too though because you’d miss parmesan without it.
Serve up with some bread and enjoy! This is also great for meal prepping and will keep for a few days in an airtight container in the fridge.
If you’re still on the hunt for something tasty for dinner, have a look at this beet risotto. This is another one-pot wonder that will impress and satisfy.
Click here to subscribe to my posts and never miss a recipe.
- 1 tblsp. Oil
- 2 Onions
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Red pepper
- 1 Aubergine (Eggplant)
- 1 Zucchini (Courgette)
- 160g (5.5oz) Uncooked quinoa (about 1.2 cups)
- 5 Tomatoes (400g/14oz)
- 700ml (3 cups) Vegetable stock
- 1 tblsp. Balsamic vinegar
- A small bunch of fresh basil (15g/0.5oz)
- Top with nutritional yeast, feta cheese or parmesan
- Bread for the side.
- Chop aubergine into 1 inch cubes, heavily salt it ,and allow it to sit while you prep the rest of the ingredients. Dice the onions and roughly chop the garlic, pepper, and courgette (cut length wise and then 1/3 inch slices).
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the prepped vegetables. Season with a bit of salt and plenty of black pepper. Cook for 15/20 minutes until the veg is cooked, meanwhile chop the tomatoes and basil.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook covered for 15 minutes or until quinoa is cooked through. Taste and season.
- Cook for 5 minutes or so uncovered to let any excess liquid evaporate.
- Serve topped with one of the cheesy options with bread (optional)