Alright guys, I’m about to share a recipe with you all that is very close to my heart. This has been in the making since 10 year old vegetarian me realised that the pancetta in carbonara was not in fact vegetarian. I was shocked… and devastated. So i finally perfected this vegan carbonara recipe.
This rich creamy pasta dish is one of the only things that I would whip out a bag of something already made gluten free for me which is a trusty pack of corn spaghetti. Although I don’t like using processed foods in my kitchen, this recipe takes less that 30 minutes total so its great for when you’re feeling lazy but still want something indulgent. Also, I use this spaghetti, which has very few ingredients. It tastes great and you can hardly tell the difference between that and normal spaghetti.
Its also worth noting that the recipe packs a whopping 26g of protein. It also has 10g of fibre, HALF your RDA of iron (which is a big deal for the vegans out there) and a big hit of vitamin B12 (also very important on a vegan diet). Basically I cannot say enough good things about this dish. Its tastes amazing, and its fast, easy and nutritious. If you like this then you should definitely check out my zoodle bake recipe too.
- 200g cashews
- 2 heaped tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 300ml water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 100g spinach
- 1 clove of garlic
- Juice of half a lemon
- 8 sundried tomatoes
- 2 portions gluten free spaghetti
- Chilli flakes
- Simmer the cashews for 15 minutes to soften them and cook the pasta.
- Strain the cashews and cool by straining them under the cold water tap for a while. Cook your spinach and slice the sundried tomatoes.
- Combine the cashews, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and lemon juice in a blender wish 150ml water and blend until smooth. Add the remaining water, you may need to add a little more to get a creamy texture.
- Add the cooked spaghetti to the cream sauce in a pot with the spinach and sundried tomatoes and cook until heated through.
- Divide between two bowls, sprinkle with chilli flakes and enjoy.
Click here to subscribe to my posts and never miss a recipe.